Monday, July 13, 2009

Let Food Be Thy Lyme Disease Medicine -Getting Enough Fats, Funny Photos at Lyme Disease Conference

This morning I spent some time learning about space. I have to admit that I’m totally fascinated by the universe. Even when I was so ill I was thinking constantly about my place in the universe. When I was a child growing up, I wanted to be an astronaut for the longest time.
 
You’re probably wondering what this has to do with Lyme. Actually it has a lot to do with it, since part of the healing process is the understanding of how EVERYTHING is connected. Our bodies are like self contained galaxies trying to equalize themselves, no matter what kind of outside force is present. Our minds are part of it. Our biological terrain is part of it. Our organs (inside and out) are part of it. All of this can be manipulated to near perfection.
 
“Known Universe” on National Geographic and “Planet Earth” on Discovery Channel are two shows that shouldn’t be missed. I don’t care whether you are into science or not. If you’re sick it’s a good idea to watch these shows. They are both inspiring on several levels. “Planet Earth” explores how life is always burdened and how life always manages to continue on and even flourish under the worst conditions. (Hint, hint.)
 
It all comes down to….where there is a WILL, there is a WAY. There are always answers out there, some better than others, of course.  I sometimes get tired of people believing Lyme is so impossible to overcome. I had full blown Lyme Disease and I was a hair short of making the 2004 Olympic Team (just out of college) in what’s considered the hardest event in track and field, the 800m.
 
Sure, there were tell-tell signs. At the time I had no idea what was really going on and chalked it up to training hard.  But I desired to race and compete and my body followed suit.
 
Sometimes to get healthy you have to ignite the drive to be healthy. My drive is simple. I want the World Records for my events. Having such a goal leads me in no other direction but UP. With what I do these days as far as taking care of myself, my lifestyle changes and how I dealt with Lyme Disease,  I’m pretty confident about my goals.
 
It’s sometimes not good enough to just say “I want to feel good.” It’s too vague for a goal. Lofty goals are not bad and never let anyone make you think your goal is ridiculous. If you used to be able to ride your bike everyday, well now is the time to think about the goal being to compete in cycling. Maybe it’s a road bike race? Maybe it’s a mountain bike race? Shoot for something you haven't done in years or something you avidly did when you were younger.
 
When I lived in Tucson, Arizona I hung out with a guy who had Cerebral Palsy. This guy bikes 100 miles every day in the desert on a road bike. He told me once that if he didn’t bike then his limbs will literally tie up in knots and be unusable. Is it hard for him to get started each morning? You bet. It’s a long hard process, but once he’s riding he breaks free from his torture. He’s prolonging his life and keeping the disease from conquering him.
 
Luckily with Lyme Disease, you don’t have to live with it FOREVER.
 
  
Let Food Be Thy Medicine (continued)
 
If you didn’t get the first newsletter on making your diet help you combat Lyme, please go here.
http://beatlymedisease.blogspot.com/2009/07/let-food-be-thy-lyme-disease-medicine.html
 
There are some people who believe that food alone can help you cure any type of disease.
 
It’s surprising that so many people think they eat healthy and really they don’t. That’s why it’s essential for Lymies to do a diet makeover to get well.
 
Apart from the obvious, like eating out (which more often than not you’re eating some type of processed food), it’s important to control as much as you can when it comes to what you consume. Those who heed this advice will see results.
 
Luckily, I didn’t have to do a hard diet makeover when I became ill. I was already consuming organic proteins, eating plenty of legumes, lentils, high quality rice, quinoa (a South American grain full of protein and complex carbohydrates), and organic vegetables. I stayed away from the “dirty dozen” (those fruits and vegetables that should be purchased organic as they contain the highest amounts of pesticides): Bell Peppers, Celery, Potatoes, Spinach, Apples, Cherries, Grapes, Nectarines, Peaches, Pears, Raspberries and Strawberries. The bottom of my food pyramid was WATER (clean, oxygenated, spring water) and not grains.
 
I already knew what my food allergies were. Basically I’m gluten intolerant. That’s an allergy that made me fairly sick all through college before it was diagnosed. But by knowing this ahead of time, it wasn’t adding to the problem by the time Lyme came around.
 
Getting enough protein is essential…especially from different sources. If you can’t eat enough protein, you can at least get some from making a shake with protein mix. My favorite is Pea and Rice protein because it’s a complete protein and Whey protein is not always tolerated by some people. I don’t have a milk allergy, but Whey sometimes makes me feel sick and it does so for many people.
 
The debate is on going about Soy Protein, but I personally hate Soy. Not only is most of it genetically modified, but another thing to be scared about: see http://www.saynotogmos.org/ but by adding soy to your diet you risk damage to the thyroid, reproductive disorders, immune system breakdowns and other issues.
 
It’s touted as “healthy” but it wasn’t even considered a real food until just  recently. Fermented Soy can be beneficial (think tempeh, Natto, a great enzyme for breaking down Fibrinogen, and Miso). The importance of grains is paramount. Grains not only provide complex carbohydrates, BUT they help absorb toxins in the gut and digestive system.
 
Getting Enough Fats?
 
Quickly let me explain that fats are not all bad. Everyone is so worried about bad fats that many people, when they do indulge themselves in fatty foods, it’s usually the wrong kind of fats. No natural fats are intrinsically good or bad, it’s the proportions that matter. Food processing is always the culprit.

 Those who have bad inflammation usually have a terrible imbalance of their Fatty Acids.

When they are imbalanced inflammation can run amuck.

Good way to tell if your fatty acids are imbalanced? Look at the bottom of your feet. Are your feet dry and cracking? If so, you probably have an imbalance.

Another good way to tell is if you take aspirin and it reduces your inflammation, it means you have an imbalance of fats. (*Taking aspirin and other NSAIDs can destroy joint cartilage, cause liver and kidney damage, cause headaches, skin rashes and ringing in the ears. It can also interfere with sleep patterns and make changes in body temperature.)
 
Vo2 Max is a measurement for athletes as to how good their oxygen uptake is. It increases by an easy 20% when athletes consume more fats in their diets. Fats = energy.
 
If you’re worried about cholesterol, just know that impairment of the liver is a big reason why cholesterol runs wild in some people, it’s simply because their liver is not breaking it down. Many natural fats actually balance cholesterol.
 
Stay away from processed fats like hydrogenated fats and pump up your intake of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Think Flax seed oil, Borage oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and foods like nuts which contain these acids.

For one of the ultimate “oil experiences” I suggest this Aloe Oil because it’s has the perfect balance and is a rare product that does some pretty wondrous things for many individuals whether it’s digestive issues or inflammation issues. This aloe juice contains complete fatty acids. 

***In full disclosure of “Fats” I should say I’m a big consumer of RAW WHOLE MILK (hormone free, of course) and other dairy products that are WHOLE and not reduced or overly processed in any way. What this means is that I’m satisfied. I don’t go running around making bad late night choices and eating junk because I’ve been denying myself  fats (of the saturated or unsaturated dairy kinds).  If you did the same you might be surprised to see yourself actually lose a few pounds.
 
……to be continued.
 
Tomorrow in Columbia, South Carolina
 
I’ll be at the showing for Under Our Skin in Columbia, South Carolina tomorrow night. That’s this Tuesday at 6pm. It’s at the Nickelodeon Theater. I’ll be on the Talk Back panel after the movie, so come, ask questions, and bring your friends.
 
Lyme-Austim Conference/ Poker Tournament Photos
 
Wanna have a few good laughs…at my expense?

 Check out these photos from the conference and plan on going next year! Or you can just go to www.BeatLyme.com and scroll down to the bottom on the homepage.

http://www.beatlymedisease.com/lyme-autism-conference.htm
 
Expect the best,

PL Fields

www.BeatLyme.com Contact Arden For Lyme Coaching: arden@beatlyme.com

P.P.S Don’t forget to forward this email! If you have a friend, family or acquaintance who you suspect might have Lyme Disease (or any other autoimmune disorder), let them know you care! Give them information that they will THANK YOU for! Pass it on...

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to point out that a lot of the information presented on your beatlymedisease website is either misleading or simply wrong.

    For example, in the "Lyme Disease Rash" section you wrote: "Most people will not get a rash when bitten by a tick carrying Lyme."

    The wikipedia page, linked to from your website, presents contradictory information: "Erythema migrans is thought to occur in about 80% of infected patients." This tidbit is followed by a citation of a medical book.

    ReplyDelete